The next Governing Board meeting will take place in the Riverdale Boardroom on Wednesday June 7th at 6:30 pm
The GB meetings for the 2016-2017 school year werescheduled to take place on November 9th, December 7th, February 1st, March 14th, April 12th, May 10th and June 7th
Riverdale Governing Board meetings are held in the main conference room and are open to the entire Riverdale community.
2016-2017 GB Minutes
2015-2016 GB Minutes
2014-2015 GB Minutes
2013-2014 GB Minutes
With the implementation of Bill 180 in 1998, school boards reverted from confessional status to that of linguistic status. This marked the beginning of “Governing Boards”, replacing the existing “Parent Committee”. It seemed essential to redefine the mission of schools and give them greater autonomy by way of increased responsibility. It was felt that school development should be a collective responsibility belonging to the principal, parents, students, teaching and support staff members. Governing board members work in partnership to ensure the best possible learning opportunities for all students.
Some of the powers and functions of a Governing Board are:
- Approve student supervision, rules of conduct and discipline.
- Approves the implementation of basic school regulations, program of study and time allocation for subjects, proposed by the principal.
- Adopts the school’s annual budget.
- Approves all field trips (which include any activity where students leave the school property and/or where a cost is involved.
- Approves the use of the school facility for rental purposes after school hours.
- Governing Boards may be consulted on and informed of text books and instructional materials required for the teaching of programs.
From the School Board level, some of the policies governing boards are asked to consult on include:
- Enrollment criteria
- Safe and caring schools
- Field trips and extra-curricular activities
- Major school change
- Criteria for selection of a principal
- Appropriate use of the computer internet communication
- Emergency preparedness
- Food and nutrition
- School fees
- Use of facilities
- Video surveillance
In accordance with the Education Act, a general assembly of parents must be called no later than September 30th, by the Governing board chair, to elect new parent members to the governing board. From among the parent members elected and returning, a representative and an alternate are elected to sit on the Sector parents committee at the school board.
It is also here that the decision is made by the parents present, to have a Parent Participation Organization formed for the school year.
For additional details you may read our Governing Board Manual
Riverdale High School Governing Board members for 2015-2016
- Linda Raza-Zidel
- Lynda Giguere
- Ilana Shattauer
- Karen Podwalski
- Jennifer Delloye
- Sheila Moody
Teaching and support staff
- Edward Levine
- Kevin Pellegrino
- Ceclia Lopes
- Jackie Jansons
- Josie Arcobelli
- Kara-Lee Woods
- Sue Strano
- Cassandra Munzano-Jones
- Luke Adajian
- Alicia Piercy
- Bashir Hussain