IBO Programme at Riverdale
Our vision is to inspire students in their journey toward independent, critical thought and responsible action – Creating effective community leaders with a global perspective and encouraging our students to be lifelong learners in a global community.
Riverdale High School hosts the most international students in the Lester B. Pearson School Board. As well, we have more than 53 different nationalities represented at our school. Appropriately, with such a culturally diverse population, we have adopted the International Baccalaureate Program, an enrichment program that focuses on the global minded student.
In June 2010, Riverdale was granted IBMYP candidate status. As an IBMYP candidate school, our aim is to develop globally minded students. In order to do this, the IBO has generated a profile which aims to embed character education into learning.
The program aims to enable students to:
- Build upon their spirit of discovery to develop an understanding and enjoyment of the process of learning, independently and in cooperation with others
- Acquire in-depth knowledge and understanding across a broad and balanced range of disciplines
- Recognize the extent to which knowledge is interrelated
- Apply thinking skills critically and creatively to recognize and approach complex problems and make reasoned, ethical decisions.
- Develop a firm command of language as a means of communication and to develop the skills and admiration for the richness of human expression.
- Develop a sense of personal and cultural identity and a respect for themselves and for others
- Acquire insights into local and global concerns affecting health, the community and the environment, and develop a sense of individual and collective responsibility and citizenship.
- Act with integrity and honesty, to take responsibility for own actions and the consequence that accompany them
The program is centred on five Areas of Interaction. The Areas of Interaction help students make connections between subjects and learn that knowledge is integrated. They are embedded into the subjects and are a vehicle for refining conceptual development by creating a deeper level of understanding.
The five Areas of Interaction include:
- Approaches to Learning
- Human Ingenuity
- Health and Social Education
- Community and Service.
Students belonging to the International Baccalaureate Program will be exposed to an enhanced program that will be assessed according to the Criteria established by the International Baccalaureate Organization. These standards are maintained world-wide.
Students successfully completing the IB program will be granted a certificate from the
International Baccalaureate Organization. This certificate is recognized world-wide as a sign of excellence.
Riverdale is proud to be offering the International Baccalaureate program. For further details, please feel free to contact the school.